Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Claypot Yu Tao Mai@Jalan Tiong Nam

I have heard of this place in Jalan Tiong Nam KL serves good claypot fish head noodle long time ago but just didn't have the chance to try them out until last weekend.The traffic was smooth on Sunday morning and it didn't take long, less than half an hour for us to reach there. Once stepping into restaurant, I was immediately felt like being toasted in the oven. It was so damn hot even though it was only 10:30 in the morning. Thanks to their zinc makeshift roof! We ordered a pot of their famous claypot fish head noodle for 3 persons and a pot of bak kut teh for 2. The fish head noodle arrived shortly and it was still bubbling hot when served. The noodle came with a few pieces of deep fried bite-sized fish (head parts), yam, fish ball, "fu chok"(fried bean curd skin), "lala"(clam) and tofu. I don't know what type of fish they were using and I personally found that the fish was a bit soggy to my liking. The soup was lack of the "hua tiou chiew"(Chinese wine) flavor and I don't remember if they even put "ham choy" (preserved salted veggie) in it. To me, the taste was bland and I personally felt it was just lack of the much desired "kick" for a fish head noodle.
I know a place in Kuchai Lama serves a better claypot fish head noodle than this one. It will definitely give you a much needed "kick"...and I will blog about it if I can find the right time to re-visit the place again.
The only plus point is they used the thick beehoon (vermicelli) where it was very "Q"( elastic & chewy) and not easily become soggy when it was soaked longer in the soup.
For their Bak Kut Teh, you can avoid it. Just stick to the Ah Sang's one. The total bill came to RM 40.00 inclusive of drinks for 5 adults. It is no harm to give them a try if you are around that area. To avoid a 3rd degree burn, you may go there before the sun rises. Location map.

No comments:

Post a Comment