Friday, May 8, 2009

Ah Sang Bak Kut Teh

My dear friend who has fled migrated and now resides in Australia asked why there was no Bak Kut Teh review as he missed BKT very much. So Ming, this one is specially dedicated to you. I'm not sure if it can help or just make you miss the BKT even more. Hahaha...All the people I brought to Ah Sang Bak Kut Teh in Sg. Way PJ, not a single one of them said "not good", including my dear friend in Perth. It is also one of the "must have food" for my parents whenever they are down in KL.
These 2 guys (I'm not sure if they are father & son, brothers, in-laws or 'partners') dish out the best BKT in town (in my opinion la). Ah Sang is my favorite BKT's place since ages ago!
Bak Kut Teh is one of the most popular dishes in Malaysia and especially among Chinese. Different 'cut' of pork are used to cook in the dark brown flavorful herbal soup. You may just request your favorite part of pork from head to tail to be cooked in this clay pot. Actually all those parts are already cooked in advance for long hours and they just need to be cut into smaller pieces and add some veggie, 'taufu pok', mushroom then reheat again before serving. Having said so, I requested "yeun kuat"(soft bone), ribs and stomach... and as usual, Ah Sang had forgotten my stomach again.
The rib is perfectly cooked and enjoyable to eat!
Enoki mushroom... an add-on item that highly recommended.
Bak Kut Teh is not complete without this "yau char kwai-油炸鬼 "(oil-fried devil in Cantonese or Chinese cruller in English). It's best served with the BKT's soup.
A bowl of "yau fan 油饭 "(oil rice in Cantonese)-onion fried rice to go with the BKT is heavenly.
Konnichiwa... a bunch of Japanese friends in action. Last time Matshusita factory was just nearby before they shifted elsewhere. Therefore Ah Sang BKT is quite a favorite place for them as well. One thing I don't understand is why they have to spread open their legs so wide while eating. Vanakkam... our Indian friend in action. BKT is well liked by our Indian friends as well. Maybe the Indian Temple is just in front of Ah Sang BKT.
... and my foodie friend in action. when I said I wanted to have BKT, he came all the way from Serdang to join me. It took 40 mins or so to reach! See, Ah Sang BKT is irresistible!
Until the last drop.... this is what you see even after the extra soup was added twice.
The price is well indicated above. The normal pot of BKT for single portion with rice and Chinese tea is RM 10.50. Extra charge for add-on.
It is usually packed during lunch hour. Best time to visit should be before 12 p.m.
... or prepare to wait for table.

Ah Sang Bak Kut Teh
No.531, SS9A/12
Sungai Way
Petaling Jaya
Business hour: 8 a.m to 2 p.m

*ample parking space in front of the Indian Temple.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely go there next time i go back, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keng: you are welcome. do come back for more updates.

    ReplyDelete