Sunday, April 12, 2009

Banana Leaf's Roti Canai


Welcome to Raju's...

I can still remember during my college days, my friends and I used to clubbing or partying until the wee hour of the morning and we always said,"we must 'kena'(have) the Raju's roti canai before going back home". So we had to wait outside the shop until it opened around 7a.m to have the Roti Canai then only heading back home for a good night(day) sleep! That was 16 or 17 years ago.
The shop survives until this day... and not long ago when I used to send my wife to work over a period of time, I would go to Raju's for breakfast at least 2 or 3 times a week after dropping her off. Every time I would just order 2 'roti kosong' (plain roti canai) and a glass of 'teh tarik'(pull tea). I went there so often until one of the guy there knew what I wanted and automatically brought me 2 pcs 'roti kosong' & 1 glass of teh tarik without asking whenever he saw me.
The roti canai is freshly made and it is always crispy when served.
The side dishes that you can oder to go with your roti canai.
This guy will immediately deep-fry it and bring it to you fresh.
The roti is crispy and tasty that you can even eat it on its own... without having to order the side dishes. ( This is what I always do).
But when you bring your guests there and especially your in-laws, you can't just order the 'roti kosong' for them, right? So you ordered......
2 pcs Mutton Chops.
Fried Onion Sotong (squids).
1 Fried Chicken Drumstick and 1 'Bulus' Fish.
On all the items above, the 'sotong' is highly recommended.

Look at the crowds and you may say, " wah lau er, the economy so bad ah?... everyone can only afford roti canai nowadays." But you may be surprised to see some corporate figures and political 'big guns' come with their chauffeured 7 series and S-class. I personally met YB Lim Kit Siang there before!

She does not look like Aishwarya Rai and neither does the guy there look like Shahrukh Khan... but do you notice the wordings on the window? They don't use MSG on their foods and you should not compare their prices to others.
Well, by now I guess it is very much telling you what to expect on the food bill...The bill came to RM 60.60 for 9 pcs of roti canai, 1 tosai, 2 coffees, 2 teh tarik and the above dishes.
Don't let the prices scare you off. You can just order the plain ones (like what I always did) which only cost RM3.90 for 2 pcs of roti canai and 1 teh tarik.
Raju's is just located in Jalan Chantek 5/13, off Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya. Their business hour is from 6:30 a.m - 10 p.m. They serve banana leaf rice from noon onwards. Location map.

No comments:

Post a Comment