Friday, April 17, 2009

Ayam Penyet

My first encounter with the authentic Indonesian cuisine was in Bali a couple of years ago. The Indonesian cuisine I mentioned here is only restricted to Nasi Padang as I don't remember any other authetic dish that I ever tried there. Frankly speaking, Nasi Padang was not memorable and I can't remember how it tasted like now. The only thing I can remember is, it was expensive! Today when I was wandering around in Sunway Mentari to look for food for my dinner, I stumbled upon the crowds in this restaurant, 'Restoran Ayam Penyet Ria' and my foodie instinct immediately told me- "it can't be wrong!". So I gave it a try to see if my perception on Indonesian food would be different from last time.
Ayam Penyet Ria was founded by Ibu Ruth in Surabaya, Indonesia back in 1998. Now they have branches in Kuala Lumpur (Sunway to be exact) and Singapore as well as all over Indonesia. I guess the Ayam Penyet Ria in Sunway should be one of their franchise branches.
Ayam Penyet means smashed chicken. But do you notice their menu above? It stated 'mashed chicken'. If you think the chicken is like mashed potatoes, well, far from it!
The chicken is marinated with different spices and smashed before being deep-fried until golden brown. Crispy bits of batter being sprinkled on top of the chicken and served with their very hot special made chili sauce. The set came with a piece of tofu, 'tempe' and some 'kankung' (water spinach) to garnish. - RM7.00. The rice had to be ordered separately. -RM 1.20.
I'm a tofu guy and I didn't know the ayam penyet set already came with tofu. So I ordered a side dish of tofu. Can you see there are nutty piece of cakes and tofu above? I asked the guy what was that, he answered, "tauhu". And I asked what was the other one, again answered, "tauhu". Unsatisfied with the answer, I asked what was it made of. The answer was 'tempe' and what was 'tempe'? He answered "tauhu!". So guys, I guess all of them are 'tauhu' (tofu)! -RM2.50
The chicken was tasty and I had no problem of finishing it except the piece of raw cabbage leaf that I left for the rabbit.
The taste (or rather no taste) of this tofu was just not right and I couldn't swallow anymore!
For those who want to give a treat to your Indonesian maids on their favorite home dish or Indonesian workers who miss your authentic home dish here, may find the address below;
Restoran Ayam Penyet Ria
No.6, Jalan PJS 8/2
Sunway Mentari Business Park
46150 Petaling Jaya
( few shops away from Old Town Coffee)

No comments:

Post a Comment